Happy Friday Everyone,
This weekend in Bulgaria is celebrated Easter and is customary to colour eggs and cook a special sweet bread called “Kozunak”. As much as I want to try to prepare the traditional bread, it can be quite time consuming and not sure what the end result will be :). Not that I knew with this recipe – it is experimental, but somehow muffins are almost always with good success. I actually tried with three different flours – almond, plain and wholemeal, but today will present the one with plain flour, similar to the original. From all three recipes, the one with almond flour is my favorite.
To come up with a recipe, I started reaserching the main ingredients for traditional kozunak, second resrerching how much flour per egg, how much yeast for gr flour ( well this was written on the yeast packiging ), and voalla the recipe below.
Servings: 12 Time to prepare: 40 min Time to bake: 30 -35 min
- 250 gr plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 30 gr butter
- 4 tbsp. honey
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3.5 gr or half sachet dry yeast
- 50 gr raisins
- 1/3 lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour and add the yeast and the salt.
- In a second bowl, whisk the eggs with the honey, milk and butter until a homogeneous mixture.
- Start adding the flour mixture to the eggs mixture in portions and mix well until the flour is well absorbed.
- Add the raisins and the lemons zest and mix again.
- Leave for about 30min in a warm place to activate the yeast.
- Fill muffins forms that are greased and lightly flour in advance.
- Bake for about 30 min on 150 – 160 grad.
- Enjoy them for breakfast, snacks, or with coffee.
More Photos 🙂