Hello Everyone 🙂
For a while I wanted to prepare seitan, I first started cooking it when I was living in Austria, and since then I started adding to some of the recipes. If you are wondering what is seitan – this is a gluten based meat replacement 😉 It is quite a chewie and it is prepared from gluten that is left after preparing the wheat flour. Some recipes call for mixing with another type of flour like chickpeas but I decide to prepare fully from gluten wheat. It is a very simple recipe and the product can be used in a variety of meals. I usually baked it after but this time decided to try it in curries and fry it – is quite tasty.
Servings: 20-25 Time to prepare: 5 min Time to cook 20- 30 min
For the seitan:
- 350 gr Wheat Gluten
- 350 ml water
For the broth:
- 1.5 l water
- 1 medium onion
- 2 carrots
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast extract
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- In a medium bowl mix the wheat gluten and the water.
- Knead a dought which will be soft and a little bit stretchy, it is not like a normal dought.
- Leave aside and prepare the broth.
- Easy and quick 🙂
- In a medium top place the water.
- Cut the veggies and add them to the water.
- Add the spices, oil and yeast. ( the yeast is in the form of paste similar to the vegemite is not the dry version)
- Bring to boil.
- After the veggies are fully ready take them out, it will be easier to prepare the seitan.
Tip: you can add any veggies you wish and after you can save the broth for something else or make a soup :). Instead of nutritional yeast, you can add miso paste, or vegemite – I just happen to have the yeas this time.
Preparing the seitan itself:
- After boiling the broth, lower the temperature to medium.
- Cut the seitan dought on pieces big or small as you wish.
- Start adding them but not more than 5 -7, as they will double in size.
- Keep them for about 1 minute or until they start floating on the top, and take them out.
- Repeat until you finish your seitan.
- You can fry it after that, add it to any meal or just eat it like that with salad, make a burger. The options are endless 🙂
It is a tasty option for meat and you can make it taste different by adding a variety of spices. Try and experiment 🙂
Here are a few more photos: