As St. Patrick’s day is coming very soon, I was researching traditional Irish recipes, and soda bread was always in the top 10. You can find soda bread in the store- a huge variety and is tasty – most of them :). I wanted to try and prepare it properly so I was researching different recipes, and for all of them, the key ingredient is Buttermilk. There are quite a few variations with or without eggs, with raisins, with butter, but the main ingredients are flour, soda, buttermilk and salt.
In Ireland, soda bread or as some refer to brown bread, become popular due to its simplicity and inexpensive ingredients, during times when there was scarcity. The bread could be prepared in a pod and over the fire so there was no need to have an oven. The result is oval loaf shape with which the classic soda bread is associated today. It appears that soda bread was predominantly made at home and you wouldn’t find it in a bakery up until the late twenty century.
It is a simple and tasty recipe 🙂
Prep Time 20 min; Baking time 40 min; Servings 1 loaf/12-15 slices
- 550 gr wholemeal flour (leave 100 spoons for kneading )
- 250 ml buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 20 gr butter -room temperature
- 1 tsp. soda bicarbonate
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbs. flaxseed
- Turn the oven to 250 degrees to heat
- In a medium to large bowl add the buttermilk and the soda bicarbonate and mix well.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Add the butter and again mix utill homogenous mixture.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour.
- Slowly start adding the flour to the mixture, until it is absorbed well.
- If you want to knead the dought with hand, on a clean surface add around 50 -70 gr flouer and knead.You should have soft dought. I prefer to mix everything well with a spoon 🙂
- In a small round baking tray sprinkle a little oil and spread it well over the surface.
- Sprinkle a little flour over the oiled tray surface and again spead it well.
- Place the dough in the baking form.
- With a knife make two vertical lines cross each other. This is how the traditional Irish bread is decorated.
- Bake for about 40 min at 180 degrees.
- Leave to cool and enjoy 🙂