I love pumpkin recipes, and this one is from my childhood; well, I tried to follow, but it is me always changing something. The traditional one is with sugar, but as I avoid it, change it with honey. It is very quick, tasty and sweet.
- 800 gr pumpkin
- 120 gr walnuts
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 7-8 sheets filo pastry
- 2 tbsp. honey or
- 2 tbsp. powder sugar
- Peel the pumpkin and cut on tiny cubes, or if you want, you can blend it for a puree.
- To a pre-heated saucer pan, add the olive oil and wait abt 2 minutes before adding the pumpkin.
- Fry the pumpkin for about 10 minutes and add the walnuts, cinnamon and honey and stir well.
- Lay one filo sheet on a clean work surface and spread the pumpkin mixture approximately one full spoon from one end into a line. I did from the short end, but you can do with the wider one as well.
- Roll to the other end and cut the roll into pieces as big as you wish. I cut them into four 🙂
- Another option is to spread the pumpkin mixture all over the filo sheet, but keep in mind that it will be more pumpkin in this case. ( the big pieces on the photos below)
- Place on a baking tray with baking paper.
- Bake at 170 degrees for about 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Leave to cool down and garnish with honey or powder sugar.
It is a tasty sweet snack for afternoon coffee 🙂 My parents usually prepare this around Christmas by adding significantly more honey or sugar.