Happy Friday 🙂
I love bread and any kind of bread meal but I don’t eat them very often, especially since I moved out from Bulgaria. Traditionally, in Bulgaria, there are a variety of bread types for breakfast and this one is one of them. As the name suggests is very quick and for one of those times, you don’t want to cook something complicated but want something breadie. The name comes as instead of making a traditional ” баница” which is a type of cheese pie, that requires more time to cook, take the main ingredients, mix, bake and enjoy almost the same taste. ( almost the same 😉 ).
I will leave a traditional cheese pie- “Баница” for another time.
Usually, the regular recipe calls for wheat flour but, you know, I like to change ingredients, just to see what will happen. So I did it with oats flour instead and the result is a tasty breakfast. I was a little worried about the end result but it is almost like the original taste 🙂
Servings: 20-24 ( depending on how you cut them); Time to prepare: 5 min: Time to Bake: 20 min
- 4 eggs
- 220 ml milk
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. olive/rapeseed oil, plus one for the baking tray
- 250gr.feta cheese (or any white hard cheese)
- 30 tbsp. oat flour ( I didn’t have the scale nor the baking cup 😉 )
- Put the oven to 250°, 10- 15 min, before you start cooking.
- You can use ready-oat flour or make your own with the coffee grinder; I did the last.
- Cover a medium baking tray with a baking sheet, and grease it with 1 tbsp. oil and sprinkle some oats.
- In a medium, bow whisks the eggs.
- Add the bicarbonate to the milk and mix well to activate the soda.
- Add the milk mixture to the eggs and mix very well. (If you want, you can use a hand mixer or blender, I used a fork, and it was completely fine.)
- Add oil and again mix well.
- Start adding the flour five spoons by five spoons and mix well until homogeneous batter.
- The dough you will receive is not very thick.
- Place the ready dough in the tray and spread it equally everywhere.
- Lower the baking heat to 170° and bake for 20 min or until there is nothing on the toothpick. (the classic cake toothpick test).
- Take out and leave for a few minutes to cool down.
- Cut into square pieces.
- Enjoy as a breakfast or snack.